This entry spans two days, Saturday and Sunday, 12/12 & 12/13.
With the parts ready to go we packed up the car and drove 15 minutes to my brothers house where he has the equipment to do proper painting. While not a full paint booth, much better than what we have.
While there we cleaned the metal parts, lightly sanded, cleaned again and then used self etching primer from a rattle can on all of the parts. 4 cans in total were used. The only steel parts not prepped were the four engine mount attachment brackets that are on the inside of the firewall. We do not have those drilled yet.
We had planned on painting the cabin frame, control stick and rudder pedals while leaving everything else simply primed. At the last minute we decided to only paint the cabin frame leaving the control stick and rudder pedals primed only. We may wish to paint those to match our final paint job, which is yet to be determined. The cabin frame we knew we wanted flat black as to reduce the glair in the windshield.
Oh, we also formed the rudder hinges around the rudder pedals (before cleaning/priming).
Notice the last picture with the ventilation fans. The black filter was brand new before starting this job. A new filter is on top of one fan for comparison.